[Shop-talk] Brake dust wheel covers

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Brake dust wheel covers
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:14:25 -0400
OK, I have a truck that I put on wheel covers to prevent the brake dust
from making the rims black in a week.

This discs just install inside the wheel between the rim and, I didn't
think much of them.  They work great for keeping the dust off the rims,
but...

I wore through a set of brake pads fairly quickly.  When I put the new
pads in, there was black brake dust everywhere.

Now, since the pads where a brand I never used before, I'm not sure if
they just wore fast because of their brand or if the brake covers affected
their life.

Does anyone have any input on these covers?  I put new pads in (my usual
brand) and removed the covers.  Whats the wisdom with these covers?  Good/
bad

Could they have caused the faster wear of the brake shoes?

Thanks in advance.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html