[Shop-talk] Compressed Air Lines, RapidAir

Subject: [Shop-talk] Compressed Air Lines, RapidAir
From: hillman at planet-torque.com (David Hillman)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:55:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Bob Rochlin wrote:
> I'm jumping in here late, but i've been using Home Depot PVC for my air
> lines for about 10 years with no issues.  The PVC has a bursting rating
> or 600PSi (I run it at about 100 PSI), is easy to work with, and
> inexpensive.  I've had no issues with leaks, bursting etc.Bob

Bob,

    Fyi, that's generally a bad idea, and neither OSHA nor most building
codes allow PVC for compressed air.  The PVC manufacturers even insist
that you don't use it for that purpose.  Here's a length thread that cites
many reasons why, but the biggest is that the plastic becomes brittle over
time and explodes.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Compressed_air_delivery_system.html

    Glad you got ten years out of it, hope you aren't nearby when it pops.

    Thanks.

--
  David Hillman