[Shop-talk] Portable air tanks?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Portable air tanks?
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 18:55:44 -0600
On Dec 16, 2011, at 2:39 PM, "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj at visi.com> wrote:

> I've only taken two off and both were a PITA. The two issues were very
related.

> The first is that both valves were put on by a gorilla. Not sure what the
torque specs are on it but it either looks like phone number or they have a
very big bulk purchase agreement with the Loctite people. Very possibly both.

The procedure is hand tight +3 turns. Get a gorilla to install it hand-tight,
remove it counting turns, and put suitable dope on threads, and then reinstall
that number of turns plus three full turns.  That's an incredible amount of
torque.