[Shop-talk] Mufflers

Subject: [Shop-talk] Mufflers
From: scott.hall.personal at gmail.com (Scott)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:41:29 -0500
I've seen all sorts of mufflers fangled on to generators.  Almost all of
them looked like wither J.C. Whitney/Autozone/Harbor Freight jobs, or
else re-cycled motorcycle exhausts.  I don't know what they did to the
performance of the generator motor, but the generator(s) continued to
produce power and they were quiet(er).

Just as much bang-for-the-buck is building an enclosure for it--the
exhaust is a noise source, but so are the other moving parts.  Even a
cardboard box can work wonders, so putting some time and thought and
actual materiel into the job (and a muffler) can make even the loudest
generator very much quieter.  Just remember to provision for air flow.