[Shop-talk] FW: Portable air tanks?

Subject: [Shop-talk] FW: Portable air tanks?
From: elans4 at cox.net (Mullen)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:59:14 -0500
shochschild at att.net wrote:

> I would like to piggyback on this and ask if any of us have
> added the hardware to an outdated propane tank to make an
> air pig out of it??

I once turned an old Freon tank into an air tank.  They even used to make a
"kit" to do the conversion.

Having done that, I'd say to forget it.  They hold so little air, that an
inexpensive air tank (mine's from Sears, but the ones from Harbor Freight
are essentially the same) hold more air and are lighter.  The cost of
converting an existing tank would probably be close to the cost of a real
air tank.  For a bit more, you could buy an aluminum air tank that would be
even lighter.

I don't miss my converted Freon tank.

Tim Mullen