[Shop-talk] Storing Gasoline; was: Re: OT--car won't start

Subject: [Shop-talk] Storing Gasoline; was: Re: OT--car won't start
From: shop-talk2 at mcfetridge.org (shop-talk2 at mcfetridge.org)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:05:37 -0500
I can attest to the varnish that forms when gas is left sitting for too long
exposed to the air.  I neglected to drain the gas from the carburetor in our
lawnmower before it sat for two years.  This spring I filled it with gas and
as soon as I started it gas started shooting out the priming bulb.
According to the small engine shop this is a "failure mode" when the carb is
gunked-up.  [dunno]  I had the shop clean the carb and it still doesn't idle
properly until it is fully warmed.  I immediately put fuel stabilizer in the
snow blower and it started on the first pull last week (it sat for 9
months).  One of my winter projects will be getting that darn lawnmower to
idle -- I have to manually rev it now to keep it from stalling while it
warms up.

- Ian