Re: [Shop-talk] That was fun

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] That was fun
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:32:29 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> Anyway, I dig out my MIG welding stuff and do some work on the S10
> pipes.  Wow.  I should have taken some pictures because that is some of
> THE UGLIEST welding I have ever done in my life.  Wow.  I wish I could
> blame it all on the gas bottle being nearly empty and not shielding
> properly, but I reckon about 93.7% of the problem was operator error,
> incompetence and cold hands.  Hopefully no one besides me will ever lay
> eyes on the half pound or so of bead in places it has no business being,
> the splattering all over the place, and so on.

IMHO, don't discount the shielding gas being nearly all of the cause.

A few times now I've managed to try and weld without or with very little
shielding gas.  Its always gone horribly, horribly wrong.  Then fix the
shielding gas issue, and suddenly I'm welding like a pro with no other
changes.

I've made that mistake enough times now that if the welding is spattering
/ not penetrating / looking at all weird I verify the flow of shielding
gas.  It makes a BIG difference.

Mark

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96