Re: [Shop-talk] Anybody know a machinist/welder/fabricator?

To: "Scott" <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Anybody know a machinist/welder/fabricator?
From: "William M. Gilroy" <billgilroy@live.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 23:20:12 -0800
Where are you located?

-g

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:03 PM
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net

I'm trying to make a set of saddlebag mounts for my bike. Two pieces of
flat aluminum stock connected by two lengths of aluminum tubing.  I'd
like the ends of the stock rounded and holes drilled somewhat precisely,
and the aluminum tubing sectioned. Basically I want two 'H' shapes,
where the verticals are aluminum bar stock, and the horizontals are
tubing.  I can't imagine it'd take more than 30 minutes total on a mill
and lathe.  I suppose if the shop has a TIG, they can stick the parts
together after they're done.

I don't have access to a mill or lathe anymore, and three machine shops
here turned me away, saying either they don't do stuff like that, or one
that said if it wasn't a production run they weren't interested.

I've got both drawings on graph paper showing dimensions, and I'm trying
to get that into a Sketchup file...but really, we're not talking about
nuclear reactor-levels of precision here. I just thought they'd look a
little nicer from a pro with a rotary table than if I took a band saw
and Dremel to the ends, and a hand drill for the holes. The most 'exact'
spec is the distance between the mounting holes.

Anyone know someone willing to take some drawings and aluminum stock and
give me back either the completed product, or the shaped aluminum pieces
I can stick together myself?  Shoot, I don't even have to give them the
aluminum if they want to just work from drawings.

Thanks.

Scott