[Shop-talk] Running power to the shop mail.com>

Subject: [Shop-talk] Running power to the shop mail.com>
From: jblair1948 at cox.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:04:16 -0500
At 10:52 AM 3/8/2012, Ian McFetridge wrote:

 >>We also have a generator in the detatched garage.  We back feed the panel
 >>in the garage from the 240V socket for the arc welder.  We open
the mains in
 >>the house and close the mains in the shop to backfeed the house.

 >John:  Do you only have on conductor line going to your detached garage?  If
 > so, to switch to the generator do you:
 >-- shut off your house main breaker, disconnecting from the street.
 >-- open your house breaker that feeds the garage
 >-- open your 240V breaker in the garage where you have the generator
 >plugged-in
 >This powers the garage and the house?  This seems much simpler compared
 >to the two conductors my electrician suggested.  Am I missing something?

Yes, we only have one set of conductors going to the garage.  And yes, you
are correct about us having to manually shut offf the house's main breaker to
both the street ("the main").  We have a "main" in the shop, coming
from the house.  So we trip that to isolate the garage from the
house.  We can, but
don't have to trip the braker for the welder.

We connect the generator to the arc welder socket, fire up the generator.  Now
we have power in the shop to the panel.  If we reset the main, back to the
house, we power up the house.

 >This powers the garage and the house?

Yes!

 >This seems much simpler compared to the two conductors my electrician
 >suggested.  Am I missing something?

Yes it is.  Your electrician probably doing in correctly.  Most
places want you to
have a break before make switch, and some people want auto start generators
so they don't really loose power.

Our system requires us to do some work.  We have to dig out the generator,
trip the main, plug it in, fire up the Gen. etc.  So it take a little
longer.  Ours is
also set up for "an emergency" not as a power always.  If we loose power for
more than an hour or two we'll look at digging out the generator.  This came
about after dad lost power for over 21 days after one of the hurricains.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction