[Shop-talk] Removing a small hot water radiator

Subject: [Shop-talk] Removing a small hot water radiator
From: jandkstone99 at msn.com (Jim Stone)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:30:35 -0500
I am in the midst of remodeling a bathroom and need to remove a small radiator
that was installed in a previous remodel.  The radiator small kick space unit
like this: http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=150766.  We are
going to  put electric radiant heat under the tile, so the old system (which
was totally under-sized for the bathroom) is no longer necessary.  However, as
long as we have the lines there, we are going to install a hydronic heated
towel rack near where the old radiator sat.  I'll need to cut the old copper
pipes below floor level and route them into the walls.  That part should be
pretty straightforward and fortunately, we probably won't need the heat again
this season.  Therefore, the plan is to simply do the rough-in now and cap the
pipes.  Should we get a prolonged cold snap and need the heat, I will put in a
jumper across the inlet and return, but I don't think that will be necessary.

So, that is the background.  My question is around removing the old radiator.
The bathroom is on the second floor, which has four other cast iron radiators
on it.  For what it is worth, this one is the farthest from the boiler.
Should I completely drain the system, or is it enough to simply drain a little
to release the pressure and drop the water level?  The system hasn't been
drained in the five years I have lived here, so if this is a recommended thing
to do anyway, I guess now is as good a time as any.

Thanks.