[Shop-talk] Auto xmission fluid change

Subject: [Shop-talk] Auto xmission fluid change
From: elans4 at cox.net (Mullen)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:55:54 -0400
On the subject of auto transmissions...

Years ago, I rebuilt the auto trans in my old Blazer.  It wasn't difficult
at all (easier than taking apart an engine).  Basically take apart the
trans, and put it all back together with new seals, o-rings, and clutch
plates.  I did have to make a couple of "tools" out of angle iron and
threaded rod that I used to compress the springs in the clutch packs to
remove the snap ring holding them together - it was actually quite simple.

One thing I did do (and recommend to others) was to install a drain in the
pan - drilled a hole, and installed the fitting (bolt on the inside to hold
it to the hole.  I also replaced the torque converter with a new
"performance" one that also had a drain fitting.

To change the fluid, you rotated the torque converter until the drain was at
the bottom (accessed by removing the plastic cover on the front of the bell
housing) and unscrewed the drain plug.  Then you remove the drain plug from
the pan.  That drains the vast majority of the fluid in the trans.  You
still have to "pull the pan" to change the filter, but at least you don't
have fluid pouring all over you.

I recommend these two "modifications" to anyone that has to do transmission
work.

Tim Mullen