Re: [Shop-talk] compressor/sandblast guru question

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "John Niolon" <jniolon@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] compressor/sandblast guru question
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:37:24 -0400
Sender: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
Do you know what the SCFM rating is at ~100 psi? That is more likely where you'll want to set the pressure for sandblasting. I suspect you've got an adequate air supply - especially for small items in a small cabinet. More important is a supply of dry air. Blasting does not like wet air. A run of metal pipe (copper or steel) will encourage the air to cool down and the water to condense out. Plan the air line leading to the cabinet such that it will not come off the bottom of a run to keep water out. See the air piping instructions at http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/airline-piping-diagram.pdf

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

Quoting John Niolon <jniolon@att.net>:
Ibve got a Quincy 310 compressor sitting on a 80 gallon tank... using a 5 hp
motor.  Itbs turning about 800 rpm

the rating is 3.9 to 9.6 ACFM @ 175psig with a 2-3 hp motor...
Ibm wondering if it will handle a small (bench top) or small upright sand
blast cabinet without laboring it to death

any ideas if I have enough compressor ??

thanks
John