[Shop-talk] Attic storage - track and platform system

Subject: [Shop-talk] Attic storage - track and platform system
From: bk13 at earthlink.net (Brian Kemp)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:52:22 -0700
The talk about attic storage has me again wondering about a track and
platform system - think railroad.  Has anyone made or seen a track that
could move 2' x 4' plywood platforms without too much resistance?
Something like this would allow me to access most of the seasonal stuff
I occasionally need without having to climb in the attic.  My lower
pitched California roof also means I have to crawl everywhere up in the
attic.

My initial thought was four fixed castors at each end of the platform.
Two vertical to carry the load and two horizontal to ride between the
rails and keep the platform on track.  The track would probably be 2x4's
across the joists and a double layer of 3/4" plywood cut for the
corners.  I'm not sure what the radius would need to be, but I would
like at least part of an oval.  I probably could not move cars that made
a full oval.

The cars would be joined with a 1x2" of enough length that the cars
wouldn't touch on the corners.

I also had a thought to use plastic pipe for the track - conduit, ABS,
or PVC cut in half to form a channel with only the vertical wheels.

My goal here is to have a system that is easy to get in and once in,
means I don't have to climb up in the attic and crawl around.

Any been there, done that is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian