Re: [Shop-talk] Air hose reel opinions

To: Matt <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air hose reel opinions
From: "David C." <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 19:43:19 -0700
Cc: , shop-talk@autox.team.net
Sender: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
I have 3 of the generic HF retractable reels in my shop. They've been there for several years with no problems other than one of them springing a leak on the hose that connects the reel to the main air line. Mine don't get daily use, but they seem to be holding up fine for weekend and summer use.

Like Matt, I normally keep the ball valve on the tank discharge closed unless I'm actually using the air for something, as there are enough tiny leaks in various QD and other fittings that the compressor would cycle about once an hour otherwise. (For the record, I have a 60 gallon two cylinder (NOT two stage) 5 HP vertical model from Home Depot and it has worked great for five or six years, even with my HF blast cabinet.)

Matt wrote:
I have the same manual one as Mark and it works fine.If not the same as the
retractable it is a clone - may have come from Homier vice HF but it is cheap
chinese.They both work fine for what I need. My only concession is I have a
few ball valves in the shop that allow me to control/isolate legs.  I
generally turn the compressor and main ball valve offtill I need to do work
because there are small leaks and I don't want the compressor to cycle several
times a day forever. MB