Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting spot welds

To: "Doug Braun" <doug@dougbraun.com>, "Shop-Talk" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "Spitfire Group" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting spot welds
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 11:00:02 -0400 a=WEDu0iThynwA:10 a=P2oOn6vrs4wA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=wJjgFq53tGJlaoXvjQHWgA==:17 a=vggBfdFIAAAA:8 a=THP4xi3eTn50CSM9E1gA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=wJjgFq53tGJlaoXvjQHWgA==:117
----- Original Message -----
> But does anybody know the best way to grind down those little discs of
> metal that the drill leaves behind?

I don't know if it's the best way but I use flap sanding discs. They're
available in various grits - 36 for serious material removal, 60 - 120 for
finer work. For what you're asking, I'd suggest the 60 grit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G9U42M/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15470184459&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18614838601995799879&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B002G9U42M

> BTW, I'll probably spring for a HF electric spot-welder to attach the new
> panel.

I bought one a few years ago to spot weld together inner sills on my MGA.
Works OK but needs very clean/straight metal. The 'tongs' with the HF tool
are fairly short. At the time I bought a set of longer/wider reach tongs. I
don't see those available from HF currently.

For spot welds on truly structural parts I'd suggest plug welding. (drill
3/16" to 1/4" hole in one part, clamp together and fill the hole with MIG or
TIG weld) If needed, any extra height of the plug weld can be ground back
using the flap discs.

If you want to borrow my HF spot welder &/or the extended reach tongs let me
know.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC