[Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge per load and distance

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge per load and distance
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:28:09 -0400
Quick question.  Has anyone created an Excel spreadsheet to calculate
extension cord gauge requirements?

A friend of mine asked what size extension cords to get for his generator
and I of course I said "it depends."  Not being an electrician or an EE, I
pointed him to the formulas on eHow and showed him how to create a
spreadsheet (attached) that would calculate what extension cord gauge is
needed.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7812266_calculate-needed-make-extension-cord.html

Before he goes out and buys extension cords based on what the spreadsheet
says, I told him to hold-off until I could at least ask some other people
to double-check the spreadsheet theory and answers.  If you have a moment,
let me know what you think of the spreadsheet results.  Also, would be
interested in knowing if there is a better spreadsheet/calculator for this.

Thanks in advance,
Ian

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/vnd]