[Shop-talk] Ultrasonic leak detector?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Ultrasonic leak detector?
From: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:18:44 -0700
I recently moved my compressor out of the shop and into the tractor shed
and ran about 30 feet of piping to connect to the new location.  All the
piping is 3/4" copper, sweated with soft solder. I now have a slow leak
somewhere, enough that the compressor will cycle every half hour or so.
I'm pretty sure the leak is in the new piping because it didn't leak
down that fast before.  Right now I have a valve where the line comes
through the wall from the shed to the shop and I keep that closed most
of the time, but I would like to find the leak.  I can't hear anything,
but that isn't surprising because my hearing is nothing like it used to
be.  I'd rather not climb around on a ten foot step ladder with a bottle
of soap solution, either.  So, the question is, does anyone know if you
can rent ultrasonic leak detectors?  The cheapest ones to buy are around
$300, and I'd rather not buy one for a one-time job, since I don't do
HVAC work.

Thanks