Re: [Shop-talk] premade drawer box

To: "pat@hornesystemstx.com" <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] premade drawer box
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 21:30:55 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Sep 2, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> If you have access to a miter saw, or are good with a circular saw, you can
make your own drawer box from material that Rockler sells

I know how to make a drawer. Ive made a bunch. I have no interest in doing
that.

I know, from experience, that a local cabinet maker is going to br not
interested, quote a ridiculously high price, or farm it out.

Drawer boxes are something that is widely outsourced, as it is tooling
intensive, and no one cares about them. If youve got the cnc equipment, and
make them all day, you can sell them for what a job shop has in materials. I
was hoping someone had dealt with someone who was willing to deal with a
customer who only needs one.

> (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=204&site=ROCKLER) All you need to
do is make the sides, front and back of the drawer box using this product,
then cut a bottom out of 1/4" plywood, glue and screw/nail it together and put
guides on. Rockler also had the guides.

> When you make the box, the front and back should be lapped by the sides for
strength. Most side-mounted guides require 1/4" clearance to the opening on
each side of the box (1/2" narrower than the opening).