Re: [Shop-talk] What fun!

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What fun!
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 07:51:19 -0400
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
A few years ago we started our GE dishwasher before going to bed, and it
decided to try filling all night.
This turned our finished basement into an indoor swimming pool.

We replaced the dishwasher with a Miele. Their models (and ones by Bosch
and other European makers)
have a drip tray with a water sensor, so they will shut off the water if
there is any overflow.  Also, the solenoid
valve that controls the water is on the end of the input hose, and attaches
directly to the plumbing.  This
means that none of the machine's internal plumbing is pressurized when the
machine is not actually filling.

It cost more than an average dishwasher, but the additional cost was much
less than we had to spend
fixing the basement...

Doug