Re: [Shop-talk] Making a trap door safe

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Making a trap door safe
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:41:14 -0500
Cc: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
---- Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another option would be to install an automatic closer on the door.  Then
> the door wouldn't be open when somebody wasn't there holding it.  However,
> I think that this would probably make the door treacherous (and extremely
> inconvenient) to use.

Hmm, what about a remote controlled automatic opener/closer, like one sometimes
see on hospital doors?  Push a big button (positioned so you can bump it with
an elbow if your hands are full) and the door opens long enough to get through
it, then closes.  You could have switches on both sides, making it more
practical to close the door while in the basement.  Probably combined with some
indication from above that someone is down there, so you know not to block the
door.

Randall