Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting roots

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting roots
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:59:15 -0800
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Eric - The reciprocating saw is probably the best recommendation, but I
also second the recommendation of just trashing a blade in the chain
saw.  In the end the time saved may be worth the cost of a blade.

I have a little pruning saw I now use for roots when fixing in ground
sprinklers.  It hurt a little the first time, but then I bought a better
saw that only does tree pruning.

If you are worried about trashing the saw itself, get a cheap (used?)
electric saw and don't worry about it.  I have a Remington that was $40
that is fair for occasional use near the house.

If you want an arm workout and can get around the roots, consider a rope
saw like
http://www.harborfreight.com/long-reach-rope-chain-saw-97092.html (I
know nothing about this one in particular)

To toss in something different, if you have a SDS drill, get a flat
chisel like the one below and sharpen it with a grinder.  Put the drill
in hammer mode only and carve away.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-sds-masonry-flat-chisel-set-42651.html

I did this to a root cluster between my spa and a retaining wall.  I had
been going at it with a hatchet, but broke the blade and wore out my
arm.  It was too rocky for a reciprocating saw and several roots were
twisted in a big clump, so it was tough to chop.  This will likely not
be as fast as a saw, but could be fun for a few roots that might not be
easy to get in other ways.

If you don't have the drill, watch for it on sale.
I got
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-1-inch-sds-rotary-hammer-97743.html
or an earlier version for $69 with sale and coupon a few years ago.
These are much better than a regular hammer drill for bigger holes in
concrete.  I've also played connect the dots to make 4" holes through
retaining walls to run drain pipe.  It is a fun tool for a while.

If the trees are not too big, get a Bobcat and a chain, wrap a root and
lift the bucket.  If you can't pull out the root, move up to a backhoe
or a dozer.  Probably best to rent one of these.

If I remember correctly, you had a fork lift.  Drive close and hook a
chain to the base of one of the forks and you can probably get some good
pulling action.

Brian