Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] camry hybrids
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:15:21 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/29/2013 18:15:23, Serialize complete at 01/29/2013 18:15:23
OK, first, I want to go on record saying that hybrids are the worst of two
worlds.  They are not an answer and they are only a knee-jerk reaction to
high fuel prices.

I had a 1991 Mercedes 190D that got 40MPG.  That's right, in the 90's I
was getting in the 40's.  Then, Americans suddenly decided that they
needed their heads thrown back in the seats and the US Diesel car was
dead.

That car was a DREAM to drive.  It was smooth as warm butter.  It got to
100mph and you would never feel it.  It was a daily driver, but wouldn't
be out of place at a super fancy restaurant or wedding.  The only problem
was that it had abysmal 0-60 times  (I used to measure it with a
calendar!)  8>)

With those two things said, I also want to chime in with 'total cost'
calculations.  First, I need a work truck, so I had the 190D and a work
truck.  It was a great combo, but when you factor in the dual maintenance
costs, dual insurance / registration costs, double parking spaces (I
garage keep everything) etc, there was no savings with the high milage
40MPG over a since 18MPG truck.

I just bought a Envoy XUV and it's got the smile factor for sure.  It has
a HUGE fuel tank, so I fill up about the same amount to times, but with
much more fuel.  (Note, I drive VERY fast, 80MPH is normal.) so I only get
about 15MPG.

When I was driving my last truck (2001 Ford Explorer) reasonably, I was
getting almost 18-20MPG  (mostly highway.)

So, if you are curious about fuel costs and savings, here is a quick
comparison tool I whipped up years ago when I was having a discussion with
a fellow Soldier about the actually savings over a year based on gas
prices...

here is the link...  (Which I just noticed only works with IE and not
Chome (which I'll fix later))
http://www.megageek.com/gas/Page1.htm

You'll be surprised that it's not much difference.

BTW, the Ford Explorer is up for sale on ebay right now.  There is nothing
wrong with it (less the minor things listed in the listing.)  If you want
a $X$ for less than $2500, here is your chance...  8>)

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Ford-Explorer-XLT-Sport-Utility-4-Door-4-0L-DRIVE-MOON-/271145902926?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f218e234e<

It's item # 271145902926  if the link doesn't work...

Eric P
Waldo Emerson