Re: [Shop-talk] Safety Wire Drill Guide

To: <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Safety Wire Drill Guide
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 12:30:23 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Not sure if there's any secret here.  I've drilled a dozen 1/8" safety wire
holes in Grade 8 bolts before using a single cobalt bit in a drill press, and
without the tool you linked to - just some vice grips on the bolt head to hold
it straight.  Make sure the bit is sharp, and if it's not some work with a
grinder or diamond file to touch up the cutting edges works to keep it cutting
w/out overheating which is probably going to trash the whole bit or break it.
Go slow (probably slower than you think) and use oil (wd40 seems to work ok)
and take breaks to let the bit cool.
-PJ