Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky brake

To: eric@megageek.com s=q20121106; t=1360677904; bh=6is71efrAA2rTy5tfa8LsG6LFRvCQzl5WUQDR+TdhNs=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=BBuLpgYqtOmZ1WALMRwAN5RPEUbpYHtDjPy1npkPP/WMr3o8oebWCCQTqHpA/5S45 Oo0YeXjKXU+ryZBlxlqRJ+VxpNdOJeveoHc7yNudM47QA+huh14reihN60XwRWNGQ2 6ZoY0CCF5Xj6w2QEstvZzQYoXg/tdHanGyFagTv+Crkn4rBlsihiAkOiTJJXQP4oFm ixXIvWYwBJgrRb0RHojmfCzmVA39pWJ684kJJHb1Rb5kOYt5H5BxEt26gCXGCXpL0t 039bS7n+tnYq9+UZm4tJz8eDFGrUNpmX7fLFBWLLTisq4eYAH+Hb8vvjtnLmXGsfOM It5dYYzlKFMUg==
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky brake
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:05:03 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net

What you are describing is a corroded brake cable.  We know all about that here
in the Salt Capital of the World.

I would image that if the cable as frozen, the hand brake
> lever wouldn't move.

Quite the reverse.  Brake cable is rusty and sticks.  You yank up the cable to
set the brake.  The cable sticks.  The parking-brake return spring is not as
strong as you are, and is unable to overcome the sticktion in the cable.

> I was able to free it up by gently prying the brake pad away from the
> rotor this last time when the brake was frozen.

Consistent with above.

> Thanks again for all the help. I'm still considering the new cable as
> "try it" method.

I'm considering it the "cure-it" method.

My MG Midget had a zerk fitting on the middle of the parking-brake cable.  A
shot of grease there meant no parking-brake-cable problems ever.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier@comcast.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier