Re: [Shop-talk] Which diodes for a battery charger?

To: Karl Vacek <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Which diodes for a battery charger?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:54:05 -0600
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Karl Vacek <KVacek@ameritech.net> wrote:

> Also - are there positive and negative orientations to the diodes in there
> bow?  They're not marked, and if their polarity is related to label
> orientation, then one pair is mounted with both oriented the same direction,
> while the pair on the other lead are oriented opposite each other.

I'd have to spend some time with a catalog to figure out what you've
got, but diodes definitely are polarity sensitive. That's pretty much
the definition of a diode.  An ideal diode passes current with zero
resistance one direction, and with infinite resistance the other.  It
seems unlikely the factory would have repaired it wrong, but who
knows. Tyically, there's a stripe or band or blob of paint at the
cathode side (negative).  sometimes it's an arrow.  Some use the
length of the pins to tell you, but I don't remember if there's a
standard way to do that or not.

I've run across circuits that have had totally unlabeled diodes too.
Those you test.....

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com