Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing plastic - weld or glue?

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing plastic - weld or glue?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:43:31 -0700
Cc: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Jim - It all depends on the type of plastic.  See if you can find the
recycle triangle with a number in it on the back of a similar piece then
look that up.

If it is a clean break and a plastic that responds well to solvent type
glue, that is probably the best bet.

As to plastic welding, you may be able to use a soldering iron. I've
used a 30W for fine stuff and a 100W pencil iron with a flat tip for
bigger things.  If you want a more precise temperature control, use a
dimmer controlled outlet.  If you go this route, you are going to need
donor plastic and then do some cleanup.  I would guess that this is not
a match for your application.

If you do try welding/melting, try a scrap of similar plastic first,
maybe from a broken toy.  Some melts nice.  Other plastic just turns
into hard brittle goo.

Melting did work well for my plastic gas tank on my B&S lawn mower gas
tank.  Mowing around a tree, I hit a branch in the wrong place and
cracked the tank.  I drained it, rinsed it with water, then let it dry
in the sun.  It was black plastic, a little flexible and slightly
slippery.  I forget the number now.  I had some similar plastic from the
packing of kids toys that I used as my solder or welding rod
equivalent.  I heated up the plastic and made a mound then blended it
all together.   This was much more economical than the $75 I was quoted
for a replacement tank from a local vendor. When you finish, wipe the
iron tip with a wet sponge, then clean it with flux and re-tin it and it
will be like before.

You might also want to call some appliance repair places in your area.
If you get lucky, you might find a guy that collects used parts and sell
you one cheap.  I was able to go this route for some spa cover clips.  A
local service place always cut the clips off old covers because they get
broken fairly often.

Brian