[Shop-talk] Cutting up fiberglass

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cutting up fiberglass
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:42:35 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 04/26/2013 09:42:38, Serialize complete at 04/26/2013 09:42:38
Ok, I have a 23' sailboat that I need to get rid of.  Here are my
options...

1-Sell it complete for maybe a $100-$200 (trailer included.)(Note, the
boat needs work.)
2-Part it out and sell the components, then get rid of the hull.  (I'm
estimating about $700-$1200 worth of parts)
3-Donate it complete

I was opting for #2.  If I go that route, I have to cut up the boat.  It's
a single skin (no insulation or foam) hull.  I have a 2yd dumpster that I
could put pieces in each week.

If I cut it, can I use a chainsaw without damaging the saw (I'm not that
concerned about the blade, I'll just use an old one.)

If I wet the boat as I'm cutting, will this damage the saw?

I've tried in the past to use a recip saw, but it took forever.  What
about a carbide tip cir-saw or dia grinder?

Any advice?

Eric P
Waldo Emerson