Re: [Shop-talk] I feel . . . wrong

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] I feel . . . wrong
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 15:06:07 -0400
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 09:03:17PM -0700, Mark Miller wrote:
> Convince me I need to fix the Echo and use a real tool.

Eh, use whatever gets the job done with the least amount of trouble.

I have a Stihl brushcutter that I use for clearing out fence rows on my
parents' farm.  It's well-built and has seen a lot of use.  It's also loud,
heavy and when I'm done, I smell like 2-cycle exhaust.  I also have a Troy-bilt
electric trimmer.  It doesn't leak, it's (relatively) quiet, it always starts
when I pull the trigger and winterizing it consists of hanging it on a hook.

Guess which one gets used if I'm anywhere near a power outlet...

(Another thing that gets used a *lot* on the farm is a string trimmer on
two-wheels.  Uses a 6.5hp lawn mower engine and it'll go through just about
anything.  Things that would require me to mount a blade to the brushcutter
don't faze this guy.  It'll cut through reeds and corn with the engine idling.
If it were less bulky, I'd probably ditch the Stihl entirely)

JM