Re: [Shop-talk] dead battery

To: Mike <phoenix722@comcast.net>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dead battery
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 0:57:17 +0000
---- Mike <phoenix722@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have a 12v car battery that is dead as a doornail because the car hasn't
> been run in a long time.  It is also dry, or at least  very low.  So I filled
> the cells with distilled water, and hooked up the leads (the ground lead to a
> bolt on the engine), checked the charger to be sure it was set to 12v, and
> plugged it in.  Ammeter goes to max, and the charger trips out.  Suggestions?

I would try temporarily connecting it to the charger through an old headlight
bulb.  The bulb will probably light at first, but should go out with a few
hours of charging.  If it doesn't, the battery is toast.  If it does, then
connect the charger as usual.

But my guess is that you might as well just haul the battery in to exchange for
a new one.

Randall