Re: [Shop-talk] Recoil starter repair?

To: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Recoil starter repair?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:19:08 -0700
Cc: 'Shop Talk List' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
I had a 2000 Briggs mower and had to replace the string.  It was a
little smaller than your splitter, but should be similar.

In my case, I undid the screws holding the gas tank on and moved it
enough to be out of the way.  I then popped off a plastic cap over the
string area and removed the top portion of the cover, to include the
string/recoil mechanism.  I did not have to do anything internal to the
engine.  Like Karl said, the cover/ pull mechanism just engages the engine.

If you string broke, you are going to have to figure out how much
tension is necessary and may have to wind it a time or two.

If the existing string still works, prepare the end of the new string to
thread through the hole in the reel.  I heated it with a lighter then
rolled it to be narrow and slightly pointed.  Then pull the old string
to the limit and jam the reel in position with the old string extended.
I had a place to stick a screwdriver.  I then cut the old string, put in
the new string through the cover and into the reel, and tied the knot at
the reel end.  I then used the old string to get the right length for
the new string an knotted it at the grip end.  Release the reel and let
it wind in the new string then give it a test pull.  If all is good, put
it back together and you are good for another decade or two.

Brian