Re: [Shop-talk] testing coaxial cable

To: John Niolon <jniolon@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] testing coaxial cable
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:03:25 -0400
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
You could put the SWR meter right after the transmitter, hook up the cable
to its output,
leave the far end open, and see that the reflected power is the same as the
forward power.
Then do it again with the far end shorted.
(These tests are basically the same as measuring the loss of a piece of
cable of twice the length.)

BTW, if the cable was terrible, and absorbed all power, the first test you
did would show the same results.

But if nothing is crumbling or cracking or corroded, the stuff is probably
fine.

Doug