Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutter recommendation?

To: Matt <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutter recommendation?
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:52:41 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013, Matt wrote:
> I checked the archive but the only entries I found were way old - circa
> 1999.I thought Inch enlightenend us a bit within the last few years.
> Anyone care to pitch their sussess or failure with a relatively low end
> unit? TIA!

    I've had three plasma cutters over the past few years.  Thermal
Dynamics Cutmaster 38, and 51 (current) and also a Hypertherm Powermax 30.
I bought all three used, and had the 38 and the 30 at the same time --
until I sold the 38 to my friend.  I did not need to upgrade from the 38
(20-30 amps) to the 51 (20-40 amps) but the latter came with my PlasmaCam
CNC table, basically for free.

    You really can't go wrong with any unit from Hypertherm, TD, HTP,
Lincoln or Miller, unless you buy something that won't cut what you
need to cut.  All make quality cutters.  ESAB, too.

    Much like welders, the question is, what do you need to do with it?

    If you will never need to cut more than sheet metal, buying a 40+ amp
cutter is wasting money.  If you do need to cut 1/2" plate, 50 or more
amps would be nice.  My 40a Cutmaster will "sever" 3/4", but it will be an
ugly edge that will need lots of cleanup.  "Rated" maximum is 1/2".  There
is little difference in the capacity of various models at the same output
amps.  Cut quality is more dependent on the age of the consumables and the
skill of the operator, than the brand of the machine.

    If you are cutting professionally, you might check out the cost of
consumables, which can be pricy, but for a hobbiest, you won't use them
fast enough to care, unless you are constantly cutting junkyard metal.

    What power do you have available?  I think all 40+ amp models will
require 240v.  My Cutmaster 38 was dual voltage, but my 51 is 240-only.
Remember you need air, too, so if your compressor is 240 you probably need
another circuit.

    Hypertherms are made in New Hampshire.  Thermal-Dynamics moved their
production to China with the Cutmaster 39 model, and have since been
bought by Victor.  I'm not, off the top of my head, sure where Lincoln and
Miller build theirs.  HTP is probably built in Europe, like their welders.
Generally speaking, you will pay more for Lincoln/Miller units than any of
the rest mentioned here.  Stay away from the no-name TIG/stick/plasma 3-in
units on eBay unless you are a gambler.

    If my Cutmaster blew up tomorrow (touchwood, never had a problem so
far), I'd call up Hypertherm.  It is very rare to find a dissatisfied
Hypertherm customer.

--
  David Hillman