Re: [Shop-talk] Storage Container Rental

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Storage Container Rental
From: w <wc5813@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:18:18 -0500
On 10/30/2013 1:55 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> My garage is 24' x 24' with a nice smooth crack-free concrete floor, and
> the house is about 30 years old.  When I bought the house 7 years ago, I
> painted the floor with epoxy (one of those kits form HD).  I did a careful
> job with the prep, including a power-washing and an acid etch, and the job
> looked great for a while, but after a couple of years it started
> blistering, and and now it has random bare spots all over the place.

Wow, missed this one on the list a couple weeks ago. Been wondering the
same myself.

Ten years ago I laid down "Hard Deck", a two part epoxy after
*extensive* cleaning and etching of the floor. The stuff is made for
airport hangars. You have to be gentle with a floor jack on it, and if
you drop a fairly heavy tool like a breaker bar, it will gouge it. But
upon close examination the concrete below is usually gouged. Can't ask a
coating to hold up if the substrate won't.

It's held up a bunch better than some painted floors I've seen, Still,
I'd like something better. Unfortunately, or for the better, it's so
durable I think it would be nearly impossible to strip. The first epoxy
layer soaked in like a stain, the 2nd laid on, and the poly' on top is
*untouchable* by solvents I've seen rip up other floors. Got a little
oil spill or brake fluid? Throw some acetone, MEK, brake cleaner, etc on
it and wipe up. I WILL NOT budge. The company rates it as resistant to
"skydrol" which is some kind of aviation hydraulic fluid I have not used
myself, but assume is pretty harsh.

http://www.airtechcoatings.com/galleryhd.html

-w