Re: [Shop-talk] Epoxy floor

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Epoxy floor
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 20:43:11 -0800
The best method is a scarification machine, like a blast track
http://www.tcsdivisions.com/blast-tracking  It will remove everything and
leave nice, open pore concrete for the epoxy bond to.  Muriatic can often
get all the painted steel in the garage rusting, if you dont ventilate well
enough. The problem with a blast track is that for just painting a floor, it
might leave grooves in the concrete; its that tough on the floor.  We used
them when we were troweling on a sand/epoxy mix < inch thick.  That was a
tough floor.

For home use, or small areas, we often used diamond stones on commercial
floor polishers to grind off the surface finished and top layer of concrete.
This is what I would use to prep for paint in my home garage.  It cleans off
all coatings, gets to open pore concrete and smoothes out the concrete at
the same time.

Jack

  _____