Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater quality

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater quality
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:34:22 -0800
> If yours is sitting on concrete, like a basement, the stuff
> is alkaline
> and often has water vapor coming up through it. You've probably seen
> tanks with the bottom of the housing corroded out. I laid
> down some of
> the plastic used for tile shower stalls under it as a vapor barrier.

They were a bit tough to find, but HD had galvanized catch pans designed to go
under the heater and be plumbed to a drain.  I think
they are actually required by building code around here for installations
inside the house.  Hopefully when the heater does spring a
leak, it will help keep the water away from the wood floors.

> The el-cheapo plastic drain valves like to clog up, leak, and
> are slow
> to drain. Before you fill the thing, buy a brass pipe nipple, ball
> valve, and hose bib fitting and replace the plastic junk for
> easy flushes.

Or look for a heater like the one I got, which came with a brass globe valve
for the drain.  IMO the globe valve is easier to
control, which is important if you are draining to a mop bucket (as I usually
do).  Less hassle (and mess) than dragging a hose
through the house.

Randall