Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning up machined surface for oil seal

To: "'PJ McGarvey'" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>, "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning up machined surface for oil seal
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 10:12:02 -0700
> Randall, you mentioned Loctite "circular parts mount".  I
> don't see a loctite product that seems to match.  Recall the
> product name?

Sorry, I guess I mis-remembered the name.  It's Loctite RC 609, Retaining
Compound, Cylindrical bonding.

No doubt there are other, better choices, I just have a big bottle of RC609
that I'm trying to use up :)

> SKF recommends a "light layer of a non-hardening sealant".
> Are they talking about JB Weld or other?
>
> http://www.skf.com/binary/12-128020/11337_2-EN-SKF-Speedi-Sleeve.pdf - page 7

I'd guess they mean something more like Permatex #3.  JB Weld would be the
"powdered metal epoxy-type filler" they recommend for
deep damage.

But of course, those instructions are for sleeves that fit the application.  I
was installing a sleeve on a surface that was smaller
than recommended.  When the sleeve fits properly, it actually expands as it is
installed, guaranteeing a tight fit to the shaft.
I've never bothered using anything in that case.

Randall