Re: [Shop-talk] mobile hotspot signal strength

To: "'john niolon'" <jniolon@att.net>, "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mobile hotspot signal strength
From: "Pat Horne" <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 18:34:31 -0500
John,

I'm afraid that an omni antenna will not get you what you need. What range
from the hot spot to the users?

Have you tried one of these hot spots at the local Verizon store for
comparison?

Comparing the radiation field of different omni directional antennae shows
that as the db rating goes up, all that changes is that the signal is
flattened out vertically which concentrates the signal in a flatter area,
giving you a somewhat longer range. Generally this doesn't help all that
much unless you are starting with a marginal signal that just needs a little
push.
Also, since this is a battery powered device, the radio in it is probably
not as strong as something that plugs in and intended to be used within feet
of the radio. You can't use this device to connect to another wireless
router and supply a stronger signal to multiple users, but it will work for
a single user though. The only way to get this kind of functionality for
multiple users is to find hot spot that you can plug an Ethernet cable into.
You can then connect that cable to a wireless router and it will work.

As for the 34%, that is a signal quality. Most wifi radio links try to run
at 75% or higher for fast and solid connections.

The -114dbi vs. -125dbi question is not easily answered. This number is
something that a technician or engineer would be interested in, but not you,
so just ignore it.

Overall, I'd try for the highest RSSI and percentage number, but I don't
expect there to be much that can be done for this box.

Peace,
Pat