Re: [Shop-talk] Performance Air Cleaners

To: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Performance Air Cleaners
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 19:48:30 -0600
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Not sure about the bimmer, but I know that on some of the GM cars I have
owned the "cold air" performance filter had advantages and disadvantages.
It did seem to improve performance, but only at the very top end.  It also
made the car louder.  A lot louder.  So much so that with a stock exhaust,
the intake was louder than the exhaust at idle and it just roared at full
throttle.  The lack of a proper filter box also made the car susceptible to
splashes in the very wet.  So bad that running through a puddle killed the
motor on one occasion.  The filter got so wet I had to dry it out to get
the car running again.  For my situation, the performance filter in the
special "cold air intake kit" was not worth the tradeoffs.  I DO run a K&N
filter in the stock box on several of my vehicles, and have been happy with
them, but I have not notice any measurable gain in performance.  I just
prefer to be able to clean and service my air filters.