Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions

To: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>, Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 10:23:17 -0800
What kind of class is it, and what is your skill level?

If you have low or zero experience, I would initially focus on just
learning the basics of gas, stick and wire feed welding, and then, if
they offer it, maybe try tig.  Learn the equipment, types and positions
of welds, metal preparation, types of rod, and so on. Relax, take your
time and take advantage of the experience of your instructor and the
other students.  Welding and figuring out how to do projects can be a
lot of fun.

If you already have, or once you get some basic experience, your
projects are pretty much going to be dictated by what you need, but your
fuel pump bracket for the Healy sounds like a good start. Build a full
size cardboard mock up to figure out all the locations and joints, then
cut it out and build it.

Welding projects are something we struggle with in my Ag Mechanics
classes.  Years ago when a lot of the students came from farms or lived
on acreage, there was always something that needed to be welded or
fabricated.  Gates, trailers, hitches, farm or ag equipment, car and
truck stuff.  Now most of the kids live in town or in apartments and
most of them don't have a clue about what to make as a welding project.
Building a deer feeder, a trailer dolly, engine lift or repairing a box
blade is a foreign to them as building a space shuttle.