Re: [Shop-talk] Shop door combo lock not opening in freezing cold

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop door combo lock not opening in freezing cold
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:37:33 -0500
When I initially started to reply, I was on my mobile and didn't go to the
link, and thought you were talking about a padlock or similar. I was going
to simply suggest you dunk the whole lock into a container of warm fresh
Mobil 1 for a day or so and let that coat everything.

I suppose my recommendation still stands, so long as the lock is not
electronic. Otherwise, it sounds like you need to seriously coat the
internals with something non-conductive and hydrophobic, as it sounds like
moisture/condensation is building up in there. Maybe it needs better
ventilation to keep condensation at bay. Does it get wet when it rains, or
is it under cover?

-Peter

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM, <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> I have this lock on my shop door...(not this exact model, but they are
> pretty universal.)

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/929947669100305996?q=simplex+combinat
ion+door+lock&biw=1280&bih=909&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.85464276,d.eXY&t
ch=1&ech=1&psi=RYLWVI7nNcShNr7YgYAC.1423344205404.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX0CIlsO
CNb676a1hTuvMidoOrU4cTHVwJVJNw-E-BwqN04yAthx_STsdpJZAXMMX4zKfLyACf2dnx6HxedIx
dRzBMgXwa0PrJmwPAlY92gZ7ZGYTzhIZAFPVH727dL1KTdKA2mzicfWeyaS1qu25bw&sa=X&ei=SY
LWVOL2FcmlNs2dg9gM&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAA