Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations
From: Mike Rambour <lists@dinospider.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:34:05 -0700
  another option is to find a old phone (one with a big screen) and use
it as a GPS withOUT service.  I travel to Europe frequently and I don't
have (or don't want to pay for phone service) while I am there.  I
purchased TomTom software for the phone with maps built-in.  It does NOT
need service or the internet to work, the negative is that the maps,
etc. took a 1.5 gigs of space on the phone and of course its not up to
date like Google maps are but TomTom (I assume all the others also) give
free maps updates twice a year.

  You can get the maps for the U.S. and install the full navigation
system on your phone OR a old phone. I now have a iPhone and if I am
going to be in France more than a week I will get a sim with a local
contract for phone and internet, if I am going to be there less than a
week I just use the phone with no service as a navigation system and
occasionally connect to wifi hotspots for internet.

  This system works well for me, the iPhone 5 is big enough to mount on
the dash and see it.  The bluetooth works with all the rental cars I
have had so far so I get voice navigation over the radio (if not then
listen to the small iPhone speaker) and for me the best part is that i
don't have to carry extra chargers, etc..  Lastly, it just slides into
my pocket when I want to go for a walk and not get lost.

  Mike