Re: [Shop-talk] Floor scraper...but it's not that easy

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Floor scraper...but it's not that easy
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 18:04:53 -0800
Scott - I second the asbestos content.  A homeowner can remove small
amounts, but if a big area, it may be best for a professional.  If you
touch it, wear a good respirator - more than a dust mask.  I think it is
N99 vs N95 as in the percent filtered.

Look and see if you have two layers of wood for your flooring.  If so, I
would definitely at least take off the top layer.  Careful cutting with
a circular saw should make it easy.

It will probably be easiest to just take a circular saw and cut around
the edge of the room to take out the subfloor.  I did this in one
bathroom earlier this year.  I had water damage near the shower and
toilet and decided it was easiest to just take up the plywood and 1x6
floor boards and put down new plywood.  I used the oscillating cutter in
the corners where the circular saw couldn't get.  3/4" plywood was close
enough to the 1x6 then I topped it with a layer of 1/2" plywood in the
opposite direction.  The floor is very solid.  I went a step further
with a layer of Ditra membrane then tile.

My second bathroom had sheet vinyl that had to come up.  I tried a heat
gun and a scraper blade in my oscillating tool, but both took forever.
I ended up using my rotary hammer with a chisel bit - an older version
of this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-18-in-10-amp-heavy-duty-sds-variable-speed-rotary-hammer-69274.html
and
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-sds-max-type-masonry-chisel-bit-set-3-pc-60377.html
This quickly took up the floor in strips.  This was over a concrete
slab.  I had a couple bits remain, so just hit them with the angle
grinder with a concrete grinding disk.  I first tried the angle grinder
with a wire cup, but the adhesive was too soft, so just smeared.  A
sanding disk would be better for the wood if you keep the existing floor.

They make a compound for leveling the floor, so if you have some scrapes
and divots, you can just skim the floor and have a near perfect
surface.  This means you don't have to be as careful removing the old
stuff if you try and keep the existing wood.

While working, I hung a box fan in the window on high to exhaust all the
mess outside and wore a respirator.  My safety glasses kept fogging, so
I switched to swim goggles.  I also wore my hearing protection as it was
noisy.  Best to take care of yourself so you can keep doing the projects.

Brian