Re: [Shop-talk] Starting a boiler

To: "'Scott Hall'" <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Starting a boiler
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 18:59:35 -0800
> Anybody got any ideas on where to start?

Look around for any kind of panel you can open, large or small.  There has to
be a way to service the burner and thermocouple, which
should let you see how to light the pilot.  On my 60's furnace, you have to
know to yank upwards on the front panel to get it off,
then reach under the burner to get a match near the pilot light.

Another possibility is a row of holes down the tube to the pilot.  I had an old
Teledyne pool heater that worked that way.  Gas
would flow from the holes as long as you held the knob down in the pilot
position, so you just lit the row of holes and the flame
ran down to the pilot under the burner.

If all else fails, call your gas company (assuming you have natural gas).  They
should be willing to come light it for you, for
free.

Randall