Re: [Shop-talk] winch for car trailer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] winch for car trailer
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 00:23:12 -0800
On 1/14/2016 7:28 PM, Eric J Russell wrote:
> I'd like to add a winch to my car trailer. I use the car trailer to haul
> an MGA vintage race car. Hopefully I'll always be able to drive the car
> onto the trailer but it seems like a winch might be good insurance...
> I see low-priced units at Harbor Freight & Northern Tool and higher
> priced Warn units.

I have a Harbor Freight "12000lb" winch on mine.   It's worked well.
It's massive overkill, and I sometimes think about replacing the fat
cable that's on the thing with something smaller and more flexible...

...but last (November?) I took the trailer down to pick up a non-running
E30 325i (Lemons project) and the seller had lost the key, so the
steering was locked at about half a turn to the right and the seller's
driveway was on a hillside (and I hadn't known/realized that a Sawzall
applied to the top of the steering column will deal with the locking pin
on those.)

After we got it out of his driveway and fiddled around with trying to
make it roll toward the trailer, the easiest way to get it on the
trailer proved to be to have my partner in crime sit in the car and lock
the brakes while I just thumbed the winch remote button to drag it up
onto the trailer with the wheels locked.

It'd slide straight even if it wouldn't roll that way.

So at that point I was somewhat pleased I had way too much winch.

John.