Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires
From: "John P. New" <jnew@hazelden.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 15:45:12 -0500
I live in Canada (London, Ontario). Somewhat cold in the winter (certainly not
as cold as as Winnipeg) but very snowy. I drive with winter tires on all my
winter cars and it makes a huge difference. Since I have been using snow tires,
I can't recall ever getting stuck anywhere, even when we got almost 40 inches
of snow over a 48-hour period a couple of years ago.

For years now, the tire dealers here have avoided the term "snow tire" and have
instead referred to them as "winter tires", because it's not the snow but the
cold that affects tires the most (although obviously snow and cold go mostly
hand-in-hand). The reasoning is this: when a summer or all-season tire gets
cold, its rubber compound gets hard and loses the ability to grip the road
surface. The magic temperature at which this starts happening has been marketed
as 7 degrees C (about 45 degrees F). The rubber in winter tires is manufactured
to stay soft, and therefore grippy, at much lower temperatures than
summer/all-season (marketed here as 3-season) tires. So, even on dry pavement,
non-winter tires will provide poor traction at -10 or -20 degrees; add slush,
snow or ice to that and you have no hope of controlling your vehicle.

I usually change over to winter wheels & tires when the average daily
temperature gets around 5 degrees C (about 40 degrees F) for any length of
time. I don't switch wheels/tires back to regular tires until it warms up in
the spring, even if the temperature warms up for a while or I drive somewhere
warmer; yes, winter tires wear faster in warmer weather, but I'm not about to
change wheels/tires every couple of weeks.

So remember, it's not the snow, it's the cold!

John P. New
London, Ontario, Canada