[Shop-talk] What animal is in my ceiling?

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] What animal is in my ceiling?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 08:45:21 -0400
I've searched the Internet, but all answers seem to require that I actually see
evidence, and I don't. It's in the ceiling between floors. No droppings
anywhere. I hear little feet like mice skittering across the ceiling, and a
great big ruckus like two squirrels chasing each other, moving quickly in the
3/4" space created by the strapping between joists and sheetrock.

They are loudly active mostly at night, almost always at 4:30am. Often in the
evenings, but sometimes during the day too. However, I haven't heard them in 2
days. Sometimes this happens.

I cannot find any entry points, so I can't observe how they are getting in. A
lot of the roof trim is rotted at the ends, but there is no evidence of
anything in the attic, and I never hear anything in the walls.

In the past, any mice have eventually made it to the basement traps, but not
this time.

thanks,
jim