[Shop-talk] Will a popped circuit breaker ground the hot wire?

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Will a popped circuit breaker ground the hot wire?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:50:40 -0400
I'm adding some wiring to a circuit, and while testing the new Decora switch to
see which way was up, I noticed there was conductivity between the hot lead and
the grounded electrical box. Is this how it should be with the circuit breaker
off? Googling this seemingly simple question gets me answers to all kinds of
other questions :-\

I undid all the connectors back to the origin of my work, so it isn't anything
new unless I pierced a wire in the wall with a sheetrock screw...

(There's also conductivity between the hot & neutral, which I expected given
the ground-neutral bonding in the main panel)

thanks,
jim