Re: [Shop-talk] Battery powered lawn mowers

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>, Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery powered lawn mowers
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 22:00:33 -0700
Jim - I have a Black and Decker 36V battery mower.  A little older and
less powerful than what you are considering, but here is some feedback.
This is the model:

http://www.amazon.com/CM1936-Cordless-Removable-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002YK4UZU/

I got it at a heavy discount at a lawn mower exchange when I traded in
my old gas mower.  I've had the mower for about 5 years and it works for
me, but my lawn area that gets mowed regularly is only about 20x15'.  If
the grass is long, I have to mow it twice - once at the highest setting
then again at a middle setting.  On the first pass, I can also only cut
about a foot wide path or the mower stalls.  This mower doesn't have
anywhere near the power of my previous $200 gas mower.

If the grass is the slightest bit damp, it clumps and won't bag. It is
supposed to mulch, but that only works with a slight trim.

I have a second grass area that I mow every couple mowings.  This area
is about 10x50.  It is also down 20 railroad tie steps.  The mower needs
to be carried up the steps when done, so weight was important.  The
model I have has a removable battery, so if I'm tired, I can bring the
battery up to the house then the mower.  It is much easier to bring the
lighter electric up the stairs.  I'm likely the only one on the list
that carries a mower up stairs, but if you ever have to, the removable
battery makes it easier.

My 36V battery starts to loose power at the end of the mowing cycle if I
cut both areas twice.  I'd guess I can maybe get 30 minutes of mowing.
There is no way the battery mower I have would every cut a 1/2 acre.

I do really like the convenience of not having the gas and the easy
start of the electric.  I also like the quiet.

My previous house had bad grass and needed to be de-thatched every year
or so.  No way that de-thathing blade would work on a battery mower.

With a 1/2 acre, I'd really recommend a riding mower.  Yes, you could do
it with a gas push mower, but it will take 2-3 times longer.  If you
went battery, even with the 56V battery, you are likely to need at least
one charge or battery swap.  I'd say to save your time and go work on
something in the shop.

My lot is .6 acres, but on a canyon and most of it is trimmed with a
string trimmer.   I really like my semi-commercial Echo string trimmer
for brush clearance and my commercial Sthil backpack leaf blower.  Gas
and battery lawn equipment each have their place.  I think you will find
that a battery mower won't cut it on a half acre.  If I move to a house
with more lawn, it will be back to gas again for the mower.

Brian