Re: [Shop-talk] Have you built your own house?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Have you built your own house?
From: "Al Fuller" <al@bighealey.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 10:33:45 -0400
Jim:

I echo Pat's comments, and would add the following:

I helped my best friend build his house some years ago, and we had the/a
builder put up the shell and some of the rough carpentry.

The builder may also have contracted for the shovel, which was good, because
the guy made a mistake [dug too much], which could not easily be fixed [in
Michigan you cannot build on fill, so they could not just put the dirt back
in the ground.  The foundation for the house had to be slightly enlarged -
which becomes a contract nightmare of who is responsible, and who will pay
for the extra footprint of the house -- if you are not experienced...]

Overall, we did most of the carpentry, all of the electrical up to the
tie-in, for which we hired a professional.  The roof was done by a roofing
company, even though he and I had done many roofs in our time - it was just
better to have the professionals up there 2 and 1/2 stories in the summer
heat.  We did the plumbing ourselves.

We put up much of the wall boards, and had professionals in to finish them
off.  We did the painting.  I don't recall who did the flooring.

As regards financing:  he was able to get a construction or bridge loan,
probably because the builder was involved.  At the end, the bank required a
particular minimum level of finishing before it would transition to a
regular mortgage loan, so you can't just stop where you want...  The
building inspector looked at the house a bit more closely [in my
opinion...], knowing the owner was doing much of the work.  My friend took
on the responsibility of coordinating the periodic or step inspections that
had to be done before certain things were closed up.

It was a tremendous amount of work, and more so if you are juggling other
responsibilities [job, family, etc...].  I was working at my business full
time, so I would work on the house from 6-12p, plus 18hr Sat/Sun as a
minimum.  As I recall, this took 6-8 months.

In the end, I guess if I were 30 years younger than I am now, yes - I would
do it again.  The main change I would make is to ensure the homeowner paid
for an architect, so as to ensure all issues of livability are settled in
favor of what the owners want and need.

I hope this helps.

Al Fuller
al at bighealey dot org