Re: [Shop-talk] turning the end of a bolt.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] turning the end of a bolt.
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 07:20:49 -0700
On 8/8/2016 6:23 PM, Dave Cavanaugh wrote:
> Put another nut (or two) the the same size as the bolt head on the
> threaded portion, run it down to the bottom of the threads, align all
> the flat faces and put it in the chuck.

This worked for me as well.

Done it a few times, but most notably I've got a spare-tire mount on my
trailer that's got a 1in (I think) bolt thru a plate to retain the
wheel, I cut the threads off the last inch and a quarter or so of the
bolt, milled flats on the sides, and drilled it for a padlock.

Cutting the threads off will require a fairly high speed and shallow cut.

John.